A subset of the books I enjoyed this year:
- Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible, a novel about evangelical Christianity and cultural arrogance.
- 손원평, «아몬드», a novel debating whether or not emotions are a distraction.
- Walter Isaacson, The Codebreaker, a biography of biochemist Jennifer Doudna.
- Michael Lewis, The Undoing Project, a biography of behavioral economists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky.
- 황보름, «어서 오세요, 휴남동 서점입니다», a slice-of-life novel about a bookstore owner overcoming the loneliness of urban life.
- Ayoko Sono, Ningen no Bunzai, a “collection of writings” (according to Wikipedia, and I cannot come up with a better description). I read the Korean translation «약간의 거리를 둔다» by 김욱.
- 김애란, «달려라, 아비», short stories about the legacy of childhood experience.
- Jia Tolentino, Trick Mirror, essays about identity, authenticity, and social media.
- 김금희, «너무 한낮의 연애», short stories about people at the margins of society.
- David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest.